Did you know that falls are the leading cause of both fatal and non-fatal injuries for older Americans? Six out of every 10 falls happen in their own homes. Even falls that do not result in injury can negatively affect quality of life; older adults fearing falls limit activities and social engagements. This can lead to further physical decline, depression, social isolation and feelings of helplessness.
Many times, with a few upgrades and use of caution, falls can be prevented. New Frontier Home Care has put together a list of ways to “Fall Proof” different areas of your home below:
Exterior Entrances and Exits
- Are walkways and driveway surfaces even?
- Are sturdy handrails available on steps?
- Is the driveway, walkway and porch well-lit?
- Do all door and window locks work properly?
Interior Doors, Stairs and Halls
- Are doors wide enough for walkers and/or wheelchairs?
- Are sturdy handrails available along stairways?
- Are steps easy to notice (especially first and last steps)?
- Is adequate lighting available?
- Is clutter removed from hallways and stairs?
- Are faucets, shower control and drain plugs easily managed?
- Is mirror height appropriate (sitting and standing)?
- Are items on shelves easily reached?
- Is there a bath bench?
- Is there a hand-held shower head?
- Are grab bars available for shower/tub access?
- Is there space available for a caregiver to assist?
- Is there adequate lighting?
- Can the sink/counter be reached comfortably?
- Are shelves and storage areas easily accessible?
- Are stove controls and the microwave easily accessible?
Living Room, Dining Room and Bedrooms
- Do chairs, sofas and bed heights allow for easy transitions from sitting to standing and vice versa?
- Do rugs have non-slip pad or have they been removed completely?
- Do chairs have arm rests?
- Is turning on lights, radio, TV or placing a phone call easily managed from chair, sofa or bed?
These are just a few things to look into when “Fall Proofing” a home. If you have questions or are interested in learning more, please feel free to contact New Frontier Home Care. We would be happy to assist you in preventing future falls!
If you or an aging loved one are in need of elder care services in the Greater Houston area, please call the staff at New Frontier Home Care. We are available to answer your senior care questions!
Call Today : (832) 602-2282
Providing care in Houston, River Oaks, The Heights, Memorial, Katy, Kingwood, Spring, Pearland, The Woodlands, Sugar Land & League City.