If you have come to the realization that your loved one needs some extra care due to aging, physical or mental handicaps or even loneliness and they want to stay in their home, hiring a caregiver will be necessary. One of the most common questions we get at New Frontier Home Care is, “Why should I hire your agency instead of a family friend or private caregiver?”. Just like all services, there can be pros and cons to both. In the end, finding the right home care for your loved one is a very personal decision as everyone has their own needs and preferences. Below we have broken down a few of the differences in each type of care to help with your decision making process.
Family Friend or Private Caregiver Pros:
- You are personally in charge of the hiring process.
- You have the choice to overlook formal training/certification and consider experience instead.
- A private caregiver may offer a lower hourly rate than an agency.
Family Friend or Private Caregiver Cons:
- It may be difficult to find the “perfect” caregiver.
- You are responsible for recruiting, reviewing experience, training, background checks, etc.
- You must have a back-up plan if your caregiver is not available.
- You are responsible for managing employee payroll and tax records according to your state laws, as well as withholding social security, Medicare and unemployment taxes.
- You are liable for any accidents or injuries in your home.
Home Care Agency Pros:
- The agency takes care of the recruiting process (interviewing, background checks, reference checks, training and certifications, etc.).
- The agency will have several options of caregivers to find the perfect fit for your loved one.
- The agency often has back-up caregivers in the case of your normal caregiver not being available.
- The agency has a Registered Nurse on staff to oversee the caregiver’s performance, provide on-going training and serve as a resource for family and client questions.
- The agency is responsible for the caregiver (payroll, tax records, with-holdings, insurance, etc.).
Home Care Agency Cons:
- The agency may need to send an alternate caregiver in the case that your normal caregiver is not available.
- Sometimes not having full control of caregiver selection can cause stress and frustration.
- Home care agencies typically cost more than hiring private; this is because they take on the expenses related to recruitment, hiring, orienting, payroll deductions and on-going supervision and training.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of elder care services in the Greater Houston area, please call the staff at New Frontier Home Care.
We are available to answer your senior care questions! Call Today at (832) 602-2282.
Providing care in Houston, River Oaks, The Heights, Memorial, Katy, Kingwood, Spring, Pearland, The Woodlands, Sugar Land & League City.