As Director of Client & Family Services at New Frontier Home Care, I hear this concern a lot: “I don’t want my parent(s) just sitting at home, alone, watching TV all day”. As we age, I am a firm believer in the statement, “If you don’t use it, you lose it”. New Frontier encourages all of our clients who are able to get out of the house and get involved in activities and events available throughout the city of Houston. Below, we have put together a short list of some of the available options for seniors in the community:
- HPARD Senior Programs provide a wide variety of activities for seniors (55+) at community centers all over the city.
- Activities include arts and crafts, fitness and walking clubs, cultural events, field trips and senior forums.
- There are also opportunities to participate in craft exhibitions, computer classes, fashion shows, holiday events, Senior Olympics and sports programs.
- Most of these activities are FREE (unless otherwise indicated).
- The YMCA offers fitness classes specifically designed for older adults, giving them the opportunity to stay physically active.
- Active Older Adults programs include water exercise, yoga and stretching classes and walking clubs.
- SilverSneakers is a preventative program that enhances the quality of life for older adults. This is a partnership between HCD and HMOs that allows Medicare-eligible members of these health plans to participate at no additional cost.
- 50 Moving Forward (50+) teaches older adults to make small lifestyle changes to realize positive health benefits.
- The Houston Street Center offers the Senior HeART Program. This is a health and wellness program for seniors (50+).
- They provide opportunities that emphasize physical activity, creative expression, peer support and community building.
- Courses offered include aquatics, fitness and health and performing and visual arts.
Houston Seniors’ Guide is a great resource to utilize when searching for your area senior center.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of elder care services in the Greater Houston area, please call the staff at New Frontier Home Care.
We are available to answer your senior care questions! Call Today at (832) 602-2282.
Providing care in Houston, River Oaks, The Heights, Memorial, Katy, Kingwood, Spring, Pearland, The Woodlands, Sugar Land & League City.